View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
I take this with a grain of salt, because it's pretty early in the iPad's life to really make this claim, but an interesting one none the less. ZDNet reports that the iPad is impacting netbook sales already.
I believe it. A real netbook mainly is a geek tool/toy - just a smaller, often slower, crappier version of a notebook. Some may be more rugged and safer to bring to a rough job site because of size/cheapness... many are given to school-aged kids. But there isn't anything in a netbook that makes them inherently easier to use, just a smaller form factor. The nicer "netbooks" today are actually just small notebooks as they push 10-12" (that size has been around for ages) and you won't find many 7" screens anymore which is how they started.

Many geeks don't get the iPad's appeal, but there are a lot of nongeeks out there. I'm a geek, I once agreed with the initial assessment of "useless", but thinking of giving my parents email/browsing and a few other things on a machine I won't have to babysit when I visit on the holidays appeals to me
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote