View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Have Sony PRS-T1, considering Kobo Glo?

Hi,

I bought a Kobo Touch about 6 months ago, but took it back after two days, as it connected to my wifi fine on day one, but on the second day it just refused to connect. I decided to pay the extra and get the Sony PRS-T1. I do really like the Sony, but there are a few minor issues, and the obvious lack of a built in light.
Firstly, I am never going to buy anything from the Sony store (I'm in the UK). The selection is appalling and the prices are way too high. I purchase most of my books through Kobo anyway, so obviously a Kobo device would be better in this respect.
Secondly, every so often, the reader app kind of messes up, in that it won't let me change the font size or style or any formatting at all, until I restart the device. Not a huge problem, but a bit irritating.
Thirdly, my room is not very well lit, and I do sometimes struggle to read from the Sony, even though I have 20/20 vision. I can read from paper fine, so I am guessing that the problem is the contrast rather than the light in this situation? When I just have my lamp on, unless I am in a specific position, it is very hard to read, which obviously would be solved by a built in light. Also, after waking the device from sleep, or sometimes just opening a menu, the text underneath the menu or in random spots goes even paler. Also very irritating. It's fine once I turn the page.

I like the degree of customisation on the Kobo, with the advanced font settings etc. Unlike some people, I do actually also like the recommendations that show up, because I do find them interesting and I am always looking for new books! The light is obviously a big bonus, and I think I'd find it very useful.

I guess my main issue is that I have only had my Sony for 6 months, so can I really justify buying the Kobo Glo? If anyone has any opinions, I'd really appreciate it if you shared them with me.

Finally, if I were to go with the Glo, does anyone know where I could trade in or even sell the Sony in the UK other than eBay (I'm a bit wary of eBay at the moment after having been scammed a number of times!)?

Thanks so much, sorry for the ridiculously long post!
bethany7 is offline   Reply With Quote