View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #149
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
And since Herbert keeps coming up; yes, do DUNE. Avoid all sequels, avoid SANTAROGA BARRIER, HELLSTROM'S HIVE and most of his work other than UNDER PRESSURE, at least until you're familiar with the genre. Accessible he ain't.
Really, avoid anything of his that isn't Dune. They're quite 60s & 70s and the best you can call them is schlock, I think.

The sequels written by Frank Herbert (Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune) are good, not great (worth reading, but you won't miss much if you ignore the final three). The Dune books to avoid are the abominations by Brian Herbert (Frank's son) and Kevin J. Anderson. They have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Quote:
Bradbury is in many ways the opposite of Asimov and Clark; more about mood and style than idea and concept. A SOUND OF THUNDER is probably as accessible he gets.
...while "The Martian Chronicles" is an almost incomprehensible mess. (tried reading it a couple of months ago - I'll stick to Fahrenheit 451, I think )
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote