View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is, I think, reasonable to assume that books aimed at young children will not contain obscene language. It's not a matter of "freedom of speech", but what sort of language you'd want your own children to learn is appropriate to use. Children of that age are not in a position to judge for themselves what is, or is not, good language use - how many 10 year old are going to know what the word means, do you think? Isn't that one of the reasons that we encourage children to read, to improve their command of the language?

I have no issues with the use of such language in books aimed at an adult audience, obviously.
Actually, I think it is very much a question of "Freedom of Speech", The author choose to use that word. And it is also the choice of a parent (and yes, I am one myself) to allow or not allow your child to read, or not to read said book. To demand that a word be changed because you take offense is just plain silly.

It's just as silly to put out a sign on your street that says "Drive slowly, children at play", instead you should teach your children NOT to play in the streets. That is not what they are intended for.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote