View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #153
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi gmw, et al,

many thanks for the comments and support. I was reluctant initially, because I didn't want to sound churlish or vindictive, but didn't want any MR-ers to go down the same path on my recommendation.

Regardaring LSB, I definitely think it rewards perseverance, and the tutorials are a very worthwhile intro:

http://www.blackobelisksoftware.com/tutorials.html

There are also some YouTube videos if you prefer, but these can at times be slow.

I find that creating a Binder (a hold-all for all your files) and then a series of chapters works well for me. There is a Resources folder you can create, a Checklist (or a series of them, if you wish). The character generator is brilliant.

Interestingly, there is no Save as... for a Binder. this is a bit of a bummer, because I decided to change my story from third-person past tense to first-person present, and had to export the files, which was laborious. I also miss being able to store links to URLs and having them open up a browser window, like in WriteWay (and MN4), but I can at least store them as text strings.

So far, I haven't played with either the mind map or the timeline, but that will happen soon.

The demo is 30 days full-use; there is a very active and helpful Yahoo! group as well, and a quick query to the creator got a response within a day, not bad given the time zone difference. Files are stored as RTFs in sub-directories, which is good, although in LibreOffice, some don't open properly, but WordPad is fine. I'll ask about that.

Oh, there is even a complete help file!

Any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote