Thread: PRS-T1 Sony PRS T1 Charger
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #50
marius_ultimus
marius_ultimus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
... These standard chargers have the two data pins on the USB jack shorted together to tell the device that it's connected to a higher current charging device.

More than likely, the charger you tried that will not work was designed to work with Apple devices using an incompatible earlier arrangement which screws up its compatibility with your Sony and most other newer devices that check for a charger using the new and now-standard method...
Thanks for the info, i checked both my USB wall adapters and they don't have the shortened pins. However, both are able to charge my Xperia X10 mini really fast, no matter what cable I use. When I plug in the PRS-T1 (with the same adapter and cable), the only thing it does is turning off the screensaver and I can't turn it on. It doesn't indicate charging, like it does when plugged into the computer USB (battery icon shows a flash, the LED is on).

The charger that I bought and have difficulty with is a generic USB 1A wall adapter from Sweex. It didn't say anything about Apple compatibility, it was just a USB adapter. I bought it recently because I wanted a charger with a higher current. I use the same microUSB cable for both data transfer and charging. Do you think that removing the data pins from the cable and leaving only the charging pins would help? (just an idea, thanks)
marius_ultimus is offline   Reply With Quote