View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Second bite of the cherry

I'm currently re-reading some Anne McCaffrey, and I am reminded that it used to be common for Sci-Fi writers to publish short stories, and then later put linked ones together (with some changes) into a novel. I also see in McCaffrey's short story collection, Get Off the Unicorn, where she admits republishing one or more stories with a different ending to their original publication (as a reader this latter annoys me).

Do these things happen much any more in any genre? (I don't see it, but my reading habits have changed a lot over the years and wondering if I'm not just picking up the right books to see it.)

What do you think of taking such second bites of the cherry with your stories? A cheat? Something you would like to do? Something that only applies to traditional publishing?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote