View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Interesting Workaround for KSO.

I just got a new KSO with the newer low price and I figured I mess around and see what I could see. I noticed when I first turned it on that the Menu options were not for a KSO but for a regular Kindle. Within a few minutes, it phoned home and downloaded the .assets folder and whatever else it uses and it now showed Special Offers under the Menu.

This got me to thinking so I did a Factory Reset and just before it it went wireless, I turned wireless off. Then I went through the steps to copy the 0.5 version of the 3.2.1 jailbreak, updated, and I did the same with the 0.22.N screensaver hack. Both updates went fine and I now had a KSO with the screensaver hack working. I finally added the blank .assets file to the system directory on the Kindle.

Now came the part I figured I would only have a 20% chance of success; I needed to turn on 3G to see what would happen when I registered. First I registered and let it turn on the WiFi and as soon as I was registered and I saw my collections coming through I shut off wireless. I loaded the files with all the documents and my original collection files from my other Kindle and after a restart, I have a working Kindle with all the non-Amazon documents and collections and last page read intact.

Now I tried leaving the wireless on a while and tried out Archived Items, Active Content and general web browsing. All things worked except Active Content. I now have a 3G with hacked screen savers, no bar at the bottom of the Home Page, and everything working other than Active Content.

Last edited by chas0039; 07-17-2011 at 08:21 PM.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote