View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Wow!

Nice little tool you have created, and timely too.

I finally bought a hardware reader that supports .epub files and have found myself hand-editing (with winrar) my calibre and Sigil produced/corrected .epubs of some of my larger ebook creations originally in other ebook formats.

You sure have "filled in" a need...... and I'm no stranger to ebook creating.

It seems my hardware ebook reader's limitations (the Next1 is non-Touchscreen and has no way of selecting internal links) have motivated me since "in page" or footnote links are inaccessible to me using the Next1 as is the traditional embedded TOC placed at the beginning of non-epub ebooks.

But that's OK, since I can try to use the toc.ncx to access the most important links (like Chapter Headings that Sigil so nicely collects for you and nests them too!) However, Sigils TOC Editor is of limited functionality (as you obviously are aware of or else there would be no epubfixer )

l want to be able to use my ebook reader's Catalog (toc.ncx) function which can properly display and access nested level TOCs. So, that's why I've been hand-editing those toc.ncx and would like to use your tool to accomplish same.

In particular, since you list the spine elements and are able to add them to the TOC, could you also list the <href=> and their corresponding <id=> locations so that ALL internal links could be added to the TOC (probably nested to better present them. I would probably add them to level1 TOC and have them added as level2 TOC entries for them in sequential/page order and maybe create some level3 sub-compartmentalizations) .

Anyway, back to your epubfixer, my initial comments are:
- when I used the Go button to edit the TOC and Reading Order (with a large .epub file), the GUI disappeared for 20-30 seconds, but I knew it hadn't crashed as Sigil does the same thing when loading large .epubs when I use it with "Open With..." from Windows Explorer.
- I waited and then was rewarded with your TOC screen, but the reading order screen didn't show up and was placed right behind that first screen.
- I used the Add button when editing the TOC, and was presented with a blank screen with the heading "File", though no files were listed. I didn't know if it hadn't found any or was still collecting same.

What I'm really getting at here, by mentioning the above, is user feedback. Keep some indication that the original GUI is still there when opening the TOC or Reading Order screens, as well as that Add to TOC screen. A simple animated mouse pointer or log screen would help. It's not knowing if your software crashes that gets me impatient especially when I see nothing being done... but that just me!

Also, it would be nice if you could display some summary statistics like # of .html files in the epub or # of TOC (broken down by # of level 1, 2, 3 .... )

I'm off to edit some more so I may have other comments, but to be honest, I WANTED TO CREATE A TOOL LIKE THIS, but cannot undertake such programming tasks due to only being a unix/dos programmer/hack...

BTW, I'm download number 3 from your Google project host site.

Again, nice job!!!

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-22-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typos
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote