View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I can't!

[...] I would tell Microsoft to go to hell! Just as I am tellin Apple to go to hell today.

Sad what people are willing to accept in license agreements. [...]

KevinH
Author's iBook format is the only format Apple demands rights over and only if you are selling it. It can't be used anywhere else but Apple's iBook app. on an Apple product. So if you aren't targeting Apple's iBook demographic you're giving yourself a headache over a potential audience that doesn't exist. If you're targeting the iBook demographic you'll be paying the same price with or without AUTHOR but have a free tool (unlike other programs mentioned)that write enhanced iBook files for free. Not ePubs, not word docs, not excel spreadsheets . . . . enhanced iBook files.....for FREE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
[...] what if someone creates a toolchain that outputs ibooks format, but doesn't involve iBooks Author? Does iBooks (or iTunes Producer) check for some secret key that would prevent this from working? Or would they care?
Good question and I'm sure Apple does care.
Quote:

What if someone creates an app for, say, Android (or Windows, Mac OS), that can open and view .ibooks files? Will Apple object?

In other words, do they explicitly claim rights for the format itself?
C'mon . . . this is Apple we're talking about. They'll do what they can to protect their patch. But you have to ask first, "Why would someone create an app for iBooks when you could create an app for epub3 which should be abe to do what iBooks does now with the exception of actually sticking by the code?" If Adobe isn't working on this already then we'll have a long wait for new eReaders to catch up to Apple's bells and whistles.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote