View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I loved the John Adams book, read it a couple of years ago and am also enjoying the miniseries. Paul Giamatti is my new short dumpy man crush.
Paul Giamatti is quite wonderful in the role, but I'm groovin' on Mr. Jefferson myself. And waiting for my Real Life Historical Personage Crush, Alexander Hamilton, to show up. (Why Alexander Hamilton? Take a good look at a ten dollar bill! Hubba hubba!)

Getting back on topic...speaking as an author who has a full-time job that is not writing books, it's not the simple act of making money for writing books that is the determining factor, it's whether one has much time to write if a big chunk of one's time is necessarily spent in gainful employment. Spare time activities must be prioritized.

If authors can't make a living writing books, they will weigh whether the ROI (Return On Investment, to use marketing talk from my day job) is worth taking time away from family and friends and other enjoyable spare time activities to write them. I dare say books still will be written, because most writers write no matter what, but probably not very quickly.

So it's not "Pay me or I won't write, nyah nyah, I'm taking my football and going home," it's "If I don't make a living writing books, I'll have to make a living another way, and write books if and when I have spare time."

And of course those considerations do not affect the quality of the produced work at all.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote