View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
HELPED! Bricked my 500 trying to Russify....

[UPDATE: Unbricked -- see below]

Just bricked my 500 trying to mod it for Cyrillic fonts as described here: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...db90a97d5bef2f

I'm stuck on the "Starting up" screen, even after connecting to usb, hitting reset, and toggling the power switch (which flashes the screen blank, and goes back to Starting Up). Any ideas?

I used the Google translate version of the page. (Couldn't wait any longer for someone to post instructions. ) I think I was doing OK, added the img file to the ebook folder at top level of the C: directory. Flashed the right files from the SD card, connected to usb, entered the two command line commands. The Reader was on "Starting up" after the "ebook um normal" command. I then unplugged the usb. Maybe I shouldn't have? It stuck there on "Starting up" and that's where it remains.

BTW, I searched and cannot get to usb mode to do the 'unbricking' procedure on the wiki.

UPDATE: Managed to unbrick it. How? Using some advice I often suggest here, I plugged it into the ac charger and hit the reset/power switch. It said firmware update was incomplete. Never reached the usb connected screen, but I ran the installer as described here and it reinstalled the firmware. I might give it another shot and keep it plugged into the usb this time, and see if that helps.

BTW, did I mention I love this place?

Last edited by DrMoze; 12-09-2007 at 11:52 AM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote