View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
With FW 35a for the jetBook - not JBL now has TOC support for both ePub and PDF files providing that the ebook was created with interactive TOC enabled.

This FW also gave the jetBook "Text Flow" support within PDF. This acts like "Wordwrap" in MS-Notebook. As you zoom in to increase text size the text line will automatically wrap around to the next line.

This also screws around with image locations within the doc but you can always turn off "Text Flow" to view the complete page but then you are back into panning the screen if you zoom beyond full page view.

This is a marked improvement with re: to the ability to read PDF documents that were designed for a large screen or paper (8 x 10) etc. Not all small screen dedicated ereaders have this feature - hence all the PDF complaints.

The Aluratek Libre Pro already has the Text Flow feature built in for PDF documents as well as TOC's for PDF documents.

Just because the PDF document displays a TOC as part of the document body doesn't mean that the PDF creator enabled the TOC handling code into the PDF.

I have tried TOC on several PDF manuals for various hardware devices. Some produce an interactive TOC while others do not.

By the way I am not sure but the 35a firmware might originate with Ectaco. The FW 35a2 is an individual's custom version of 35a adding the ability to add a new font for ePub books.

The regular FW 35a displays via the firmware release display within the settings menus but the custom 35a2 boots you back to the main menu when you try to display the installed firmware level. Not really a big issue given the benefits of having a different font used within ePub. I activated the serif font provided in the sample script.

My JB unit came installed with FW .34c/P-15 but Ectaco still shows 33g on their web site so that says a lot about keeping clients aware of updates.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 06-23-2010 at 12:36 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote