Thread: Classic Why I preordered.
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #17
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I pre-ordered also. I've got a Sony 500, 505 and a Kindle 1 already. My biggest reason for pre-ordering is the hope that I can do my browsing at the brick and mortar B&N, and buy any books that I like as ebooks. I sort of do that now, in that I browse at B&N, noting any books that I'm interested in, then when I'm home, I check to see if the ebook is available, but I will feel better about being able to reward B&N for the browsing experience by buying from them. Right now, I simply don't have room for anymore paper or hardback books. What I really hope is that having 3 major ebook stores (Amazon, Sony and B&N) will spark more and more selection in ebooks.
You make two really great points here. First, I do the same thing. I browse for books at physical stores, B&N as frequently as Borders, make notes and then go buy whichever are available as ebooks. I hadn't thought about it until you said it, but it will be nice to keep my business at the store where I browse. It seems a lot more fair.
Also, your second point is equally important: major retailers pushing ebooks, especially if they do it successfully, really pushes publishers to make titles available. Since the Kindle came out I've seen so many of my favorite books and authors become available as ebooks, and I'm certain this is causation, not just correlation.
Things would be even better if only B&N would do like Sony and Amazon and make a f%^&ing button or email address to send title requests to!
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote