View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
I have an idea - no, not a dream - that could go well along with yours :
When I buy an eBook, I like thinking that what I really get is the right (license) and the technical mean to read it, whenever I want.
If, instead of buying a "physical" file, I bought the right to get some sort of priority lending at a library, then whenever I would not be reading my book (normally, about 99.99% of the time), it would benefit someone else, for free.
So the idea is (expanding you own) that I give money to the library (corresponding to the price of the ebook I want), which is used by the librarian to buy a copy of the ebook (a "physical" file), and I'm lent this copy. When I'm finished reading it, I replace it on its virtual bookshelf and someone else can read it. If, in the future, I want to read it, I simply reserve it ; as I'm the one who gave the money for this book, I get a priority lease : my request is inserted in the lease queue right on top, and when the reader who has the book now finishes reading it, I'm next...

Ain't I even more nuts ?
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote