View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #40
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I grabbed a copy of the ISO from the Fifth Imperium and after reading the first book, promptly bought Memories so as to make sure I had the lot.

I was then going to buy some of the other books (would have ended up buying them all eventually), even though I've already grabbed them from ISO. I did this with Honor Harrington and now own the lot even though I got most of the books from the Fifth Imperium.
That's just what I've done with Honor Harrington. Read most of them from the free library and fifth imperium, then bought a few more of his books for my TBR list.

There's no way I'd have ever read Webber on a whim and whilst I was surprised so much was available for free, its made me buy more of his books because I know I like his writing and he gave so much for free.

Quote:
This is very dissapointing for me as I like to use those CD's as a "Try-before-you-buy". I've certainly found authors I wouldn't have otherwise. I think it is going to be a long time before I read the rest of her books now.
I've no issue with her realising the sharing is far greater than she was perhaps expecting and not liking that. Also no problem with her asking for the CD to be removed. Whether she has a legal right to cancel an agreement after someone had bought the paperback and obtained the CD with the permission to share it, I've no idea, not a lawyer, but either way I think it's fair that the Fifth imperium honour the request.

What I take issue with, is calling the Fifth Imperium a pirate site. She or the publisher gave permission for what is been done to be done. Had she not equated the site with piracy and just asked for the CD to be removed, then I'd have seen it as just a failed experiment and fair enough. Saying it's a pirate site however really rubs me the wrong way.

Quote:
And calling the Fifth Imperium a pirate site sounds defamatory and possibly libelous, which make me even less inclined to read her books make payments for those free books now.
Agreed.

Whether it will change my mind on reading her books, perhaps. Plenty of authors still available on the free library and fifth imperium to read several books in a series and decide whether they're worth buying more of.

Last edited by JoeD; 08-22-2012 at 08:21 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote