Thread: Google Nexus 7
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #43
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfeet View Post
I'm using aldiko and ended up doing what you say just dragging them to Nexus...but I would say that I would much prefer to use the built in Book App: it seems to work much better, compared to Aldiko...and I can't believe Google expects us only to want to buy their books...they should make it easier to use their own built in book reader, but so far, no luck...Aldiko works OK, but it took quite a bit of tweaking...and still stalls and goes backwards sometimes...
My main wish is to be able to use Google Play to read books, in other words, I think it works better than the applications, as is often the case. Plus, tho I often am a Google Fan, and still have my Google Nexus One phone, I do find it irritating that they make it so difficult to read outside lit sources on their inhouse reader. I don't have that problem with Kindle, where Calibre nicely translates epub...but I"ve tried different ways of using Calibre on Nexus7 but so far, doesn't seem to help, so at this point I'm still using Aldiko
Right now I use two methods to get my books on the android device. I use calibre's web server and use Moon+ built in ODPS browser to download my book. This allows me to use calibre's for what it excels at book cataloging. It makes searches quick and powerful.
The next method is using Dropbox, I am finalizing a tutorial on how I setup my Dropbox keep your eyes open for it.

Agreed Google Play bookstore has become the best experience for buying books and having them pushed to your device. It is a huge shift from a year ago, where it was by far the worst experience.

The problem for me is I really dislike the Play Books app. It's just so basic, I suppose for any who just read from cover to end that is fine but I need more control and features.

Right now for my reading Moon+ is the best book reader and all the book stores with their apps fall short. What's worse its all the automated push forces you to use their apps. I'd like to see a standard where the stores open their API and allow for any reader app to replace their reader client.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote