View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #9
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I finished the book last night, so I think I need to mull over it a bit more, so here are jsut first impressions - but first of all I also want to thank Issybird as I did not even know Dawn Powell existed. To summarise what has been already written, she is simply a great writer: what a great craftmanship.

Perhaps the only negative point for me is the "scene" with Andy: to me he was a bit too much of a caricature in his total disregard for others and utter lack of empathy, too much of a total fool.

Besides this, I really liked Powell giving shadows to each of the main characters: even Effie's sense of triumph in the end is somewhat toned down by her being unable to get him to acknowledge her: she has to compromise and project a different woman to what she is.

I also surprised myself by quite liking Orphen!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote