View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #53
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Thanks for the links! Kessel's essay is especially lucid, though I don't agree with every point nor even your concern over Ender's morality. And, wow, Kessel dissects thoroughly. ...
I liked your post ... but I can't agree that Kessel dissects thoroughly. His article is very much a matter of picking the pieces he wants and presenting them in the light he wants - and by saying so much that any thorough repudiation is going to take days and days of work. To claim "narrative’s sympathy is always and invariably on Ender, not on the objects of Ender’s violence" is to have totally missed the story - I think he was so busy reading the individual sentences he forgot to read the book.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote