View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #140
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
A question for iPad owners who are reluctant to buy an iPad Mini: Is the lack of Retina display the only aspect of the Mini that concerns you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Pretty much. If they release a retina version, there is a good chance I'll get one.
It is perhaps a little on the large side, but without seeming several different models side by side it is hard to know if a smaller one would be useable.
The usability factor has me wondering also. I did get to go hands-on with a Mini in the local Apple store and was pleasantly surprised by how easy the smaller virtual keyboard was to use. What I'd also like to know is how easy is it to use handwriting recognition apps on the smaller screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Yes. The day Apple release iPad Mini with a Retina display, I'll be there in the line at the Apple store in the early morning, just like I was there for iPad 1 and iPad 3. (For iPhone 4, too, the first-ever with a Retina screen, I went to my mobile operator's store on Day 1.)

Never regretted any of the purchases -- in fact, I continue using iPad 1 to this day, as a secondary display: which is precisely why I'm constantly aware and being reminded of just how inferior that 1024 x 768 pixels resolution is, compared to the iPad 3+ screen. (And also compared to the iPhone screen.) Yes, iPad mini is slightly smaller, so the screen will be slightly less horrible (measured by 2013 standards) than on iPad 1, but it just isn't enough. The above article and the pictures attached to it illustrate that very nicely.

If Apple was selling these non-Retina iPad minis at the price of $200 or so (similar to Google's Nexus 7), I might -- only maybe -- consider the purchase. But to pay $330 (in fact, significantly more for those of us in Europe) for a non-Retina screen 8-inch tablet is just ridiculous. My only hope is that the pricing is already set for the Retina-screen iPad mini, to be released later this year (my bet would be October 2013, just in time for pre-Christmas sales).
I hope the release comes much sooner, preferably in March, but despite the rumors I don't expect to see it before the Fall. I do think the 2nd generation will have a Retina display, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Yes, I will preorder a "retina" iPad mini the first day I can. It doesn't even have to be double the current resolution--just to have a pixel density closer to the iPad 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Personally, I'm just as concerned with a faster processor and correct scaling of the desktop icons. I need it to be more than a consumer's ocular chew toy....
MeSue, I would consider preordering a Retina iPad Mini only if it also had the faster processor that Prestidigitweeze mentions. In truth, I expect to see both on the 2nd generation, but because of my fear of the unknown I might just stick with my plans to buy an iPad 5 when it comes out. Rumor is it will be physically smaller and lighter than the 4th generation while retaining the same size screen. That sounds mighty tempting if true.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote