Thread: Worst Book
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #21
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Probably no more, so, than Mills and Boone romances, which sell in their millions. Heck - probably hundreds of millions altogether.

Reading is entertainment. If it's fun to read, does it have to have literary merit? "Literary fiction" obviously has its place, but so does "fluff".
Exactly. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to Goodreads to rate the latest M&B / Harlequin I've consumed and see a really low rating with a review discussing the book's lack of literary merit. I'm confused that anyone would expect to find that in an MMFFF (that would be "mass-market fluff for females", no insult intended to any males that also enjoy them).

Fluff definitely has its place - in my case, that place would be anywhere within easy reach.

The worst book I've read? I won't mention any names, but it was a collection of erotic shorts by a man who apparently has spent very little time in the presence of real-live women. The sex in that book was an anatomical train wreck, and the dialog was right out of an uninformed teenager's fantasy. Sentence structure was horrific.

I didn't rate it, review it or even list it in my books on GR. I suspected it may well have been written by a shy, fragile 18-year old, and I decided to let someone else be the bad guy.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote