View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
I would strongly recommend looking for an alternative to Calibre for ebook creation. Although I strongly doubt you can get much smaller files, unless you're doing something really weird.

In my opinion / limited experience, Calibre was created for the purpose of converting & syncing ebooks with a personal e-reader. I would look at special purpose software like Sigil instead.

Search for "epubcheck" and "epub preflight" if you haven't seen them already.

I dunno much about PDF. You should make sure you know exactly what you want of it. Here are some possible questions to think about - do you want people to be able to print it? Or does it need to be readable on a 5" e-reader without reflowing? Do you want reflowing to work?

Spoiler:

I observed that Calibre will convert HTML files with no explicit alignment to EPUB files with a specific alignment (e.g. fully justified). That gives users more control, because many e-book readers don't have an alignment setting. But if your e-reader is like mine and *does* have an alignment setting, Calibre's formatting may effectively disable it.

I think it also does explicit paragraph formatting, i.e. applying either a first-line indent or a blank line between paragraphs (and this has the same effect re. user control and e-reader settings). I believe it even sets page margins (!).

I also observed that it's happy to convert HTML to EPUB, and explicitly mark it as being of language "UND" (undefined), without prompting the user. Again, this won't affect most e-readers, but if your e-reader knows how to do automatic hyphenation (which makes full justification work a lot better), then it needs to know what the language is.
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote