View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Post Wodehouse, P.G.: The Swoop!, or How Clarence Saved England. v8 26 Sep 2009

Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse (1881-1975) was a popular English comic writer. His books are usually set around pre-war upper-class English society.

"The Swoop!, or How Clarence Saved England" is a short comic novel published in 1909. No fewer than 9 different armies invade England on the same day, but the boy scout Clarence Chugwater manages to save his homeland. A funny light read for the winter.

This is an ePUB test. I've been learning a bit about this format and created this book as a test (all manually, with the only help of copy/paste). Since I don't have any ePUB reader, I don't really know how well it works... Anyway, I hope it goes right. If a reasonably feature-rich ePUB reader becomes available for the Cybook, I'll upload more ePUB files.

The index.zip file includes what's needed to view the book in a browser. Just unzip the .epub and the .zip files in the same directory (the index.html should be at the same level as mimetype). You can then tweak index.css to your liking

Any kind of feedback is welcome.

EDIT (v2): Added a TOC for systems which don't support the ncx TOC. Added headers (does any ePUB reader support headers?). Improved the formatting, including drop caps.

EDIT (v3): Wrapped the cover in an XHTML page, now it should pass epubcheck, and loads OK in bookworm.

EDIT (v4): Tweaked a bit the CSS to improve the drop caps (hopefully), and work around lack of header support, and changed the index.zip (now it should work with Firefox).

EDIT (v5): Added "description" to the metadata and a note about the source of the text.

EDIT (v6): Two required elements were missing from the .ncx file.

EDIT (v7): Modified the drop caps code to make it work with Adobe Digital Editions (and the Sony reader).

EDIT (v8): Updated to support the epub2pdf script.

(previous download count: 157)

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 09-26-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote