View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
It's possible but after 3 years one would think they would have plenty of time to work out a deal especially for a generic epub e-tailer. Diesel didn't sell The Hunger Games series by Scholastic a non-Agency publisher. Or it's likely Diesel (and BoB) didn't like the terms the publishers offered.
I suspect it's a combination of things. Diesel wouldn't have had a contract directly with Scholastic, but it's possible that their distributor didn't have one. LightningSource didn't expand into library stuff (I don't think) the way OverDrive did and for the most part distributors have been cut out of ebooks compared to the way it used to be so I suspect it's not worth it to all publishers to maintain all channels. It really seems like Diesel kinda gave up a year--year and a half ago and quit trying. Parts of their website haven't worked properly for some time.

Quote:
I also suspect that there is some hidden or unusually high cost to running an online ebook store. Something we aren't aware of for all these stores to close. How many ebooks does a site have to sell to cover costs?
Oh, no doubt. There's the Adobe tax which I'm sure the distributor passes on, web developers, app developers for the reading app they tried, and CS and lets face it once Sony, Amazon, B&N, Kobo & Apple came along the small stores just have a hard time competing against the integration you get in most of todays readers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote