View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #46
LucidDreams
Tech Reader
LucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
when that comes i expect something Great will be upon us in hte ebook world, either the
Kindle 2 (or 3)
Color Eink
Or, Foldable Display. i would buy a foldable display in a hearbeat, color Eink is very Meh to me, Kindle 2 is on my top list, espcially if it gets an upgraded screen. or whatever new screen there will be.
Personally, I don't like the Kindle - I feel it's trying to do what Apple did with the iPod and win the eBook Reader player war by using a "closed" eBook file format (so to speak). They also have to seriously work on the design of the unit - it just looks like a brick to me. But I'm not expecting much change in design of the nex-gen Kindle. Why change things too much when you can't even keep the current version in stock?

Color e-ink is 3-5yrs away before it hits a eBook Reader - you'll probably upgrade before then. But e-ink isn't the only game in town. I'm keeping my eye on the Plastic Logic's eBook Reader, if it ever comes to market in 2010 and at the price points they mentioned (on par with the Kindle - probably $449-599 range). From the video/photos I've seen that eBook Reader is by far the best out there (if you could buy it today). But I think they need to make several sizes because the 8x10/11 dimensions is too big for a general eBook Reader (not for portable use - but fine for home/business).

As for foldable displays - I seen a few prototypes but think it will take longer to develop to the point where it's what people would buy (mass market). Right now we don't even have a really good/awesome eBook Reader that does regular books. Sure the stuff that's out there is kewl and works...but it's not awesome yet. But it will be soon, I hope.
LucidDreams is offline   Reply With Quote