View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading as well and am torn between these devices. Here are some pros and cons of each. I've had some hands on experience with Aura HD but have never used a Paperwhite.

Kindle Voyage:
+ 300 ppi
+ adaptive light
+ reliable firmware
+ Amazon ecosystem
- capacitive touch screen: reduced sharpness and fingerprints, my pet peeve
- 6" display, no more text on screen than my K4
- no hyphenation

Kobo Aura H2O:
+ 6,8" screen, more text on screen at the same size
+ IR touch, I can use a stylus and avoid fingerprints
+ hyphenation
+ book cover as screensaver
- buggy firmware
- wasted screen space though this can be fixed to some extent
- thick bezel casts a shadow, my reading light is on the side

I guess I'm gonna have to wait for detailed comparisons before making my choice.
Out of curiosity why would you complain about using a reading light with a lighted device? Quick testing with an Aura HD which has a similar bezel depth suggests I have to get about 45 degrees off before the shadow of the bezel becomes annoying.

Given both devices have a 1080x1430 screen (eInk's resolution of the day?), you should be able to fit the same amount of text on either screen with the Aura H2O having the advantage that text would be slightly larger. However, with my eyes, I can't comfortably read at the smallest stock font sizes so not a matter of real interest to me.

As for the wasted space on the Kobo? That is relatively easy to fix either using Kobo's solution or the descendants of Metazoa's patcher. I've attached a couple of screenshots for each plus one with the stock smallest font size and full screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_fullscreen.png
Views:	976
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	128614   Click image for larger version

Name:	MZ_patcher.png
Views:	1058
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	128615   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_fullscreen_small_font.png
Views:	899
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	128616  

Last edited by DNSB; 09-20-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: fat fingered typos... and attached forgotten screenshots
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote