View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Has the horrible Kobo Desktop software improved in the last year or two? Do you still have to use this to load content to the device, or can you now just copy files via the USB link, as with most other devices? At one time it was pretty flaky, and had a habit of corrupting the Kobo's internal database.
I very seldom use the Kobo Desktop application other than setting up my Kobos after a factory reset but as far as I know -- going back to the original Kobo -- you were never limited to the KDA to transfer books to your device. Sideloading has been my preferred option since day 1. You can just copy files over the USB link though I prefer to use Calibre since you can and will cause issues by replacing an existing file with a different file of the same name. Kobo records information about the books in an SQLite database so the "secret" is to remove books using either the Kobo GUI or Calibre so the database records are properly maintained.

And also yes, due to non-standard way I use my Kobos, I probably see more issues than most people would. I suspect I'm part of a vanishingly small percentage of Kobo's customer base which runs alternate readers and operating systems just because we can.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-20-2014 at 11:58 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote