View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
You can take photographs with your cell phone and your web cam. But when you **really** want to take a photo, you use your camera. Same with ebooks.....
Everyone's threshold for a comfortable reading experience will be different, I suppose. I wouldn't dream of reading novels on my PC LCD or my phone, but this hardcover-sized laptop with sharp matte screen and hotkeys for brightness? It meets and transcends my qualifications. I've been fully expecting someone to develop LCDs with optimized 'reader' modes for netbooks, and if the 3Qi screens pan out, they'll beat my expectations by 2 years. People are just more likely to delve into ebooks on a device they're already carrying around, and as those devices become more lightweight, low-power and easy on the eyes, dedicated ebook devices are going to look a lot less special. If they get cheaper faster than they lose ground to small laptops/big phones, maybe they'll maintain a niche market, but ebooks in general are never getting anywhere as long as people think there's a $200+ cover charge.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote