View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
That was in an Ad. Also "send a telegram"
That service was discontinued in 2006. I don't know about the money service.

When I was a little bitty kid, I saw telegrams. Some of them had the paper strip from the telegraph key machine with the message pasted on paper. Later messages were typed on the paper.

Usually it was for a death or it might be the time of arrival on a train. And my mom had some from the 2nd world war, when her brother was wounded. In a scrap book.

Also I think it was easier to send a telegram than to make a long distance call for a lot of people, just like some people use "money orders."

A telegram would be carried to your house immediately.
I believe the telegrams were probably a lot cheaper than the expense of a long distance call. I don't know what they cost but I imagine if you could get 10 words for 10 cents or spend several dollars for a couple of minutes on the phone (assuming you could reach your party) the choice was probably clear.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote