View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The re-flow PDF feature you are talking about is more of an Amazon service. This works by your emailing your PDF to your kindle account. The charge is about $.15USD. If you put the word "Convert" in the subject (I just found this out yesterday) it will convert your PDF to a MOBI.
Outside the US, the charge is higher, and per MB, rounded up.

You also get the variant @free.kindle.com address for no-charge conversions.

It forwards the converted file to your email, so you'll have to transfer it manually via USB, but there's no fee because there's no wireless delivery involved.

Also, if you put anything other than "Convert" (and *only* "convert") in the subject line, the conversion will fail. I guess Amazon's servers are picky about that.

The conversion service is pretty decent for not-too-complicated PDFs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
I read that there are kindle readers for windows and mac. Will those readers render the pdf the same way the kindle3 does? Which other ways are there to simulate the pdf behaviour kindle?
Kindle for Mac, at least, will not read PDFs. I just tried dragging and dropping one, and also putting it in the Kindle Content folder. Didn't see it, wouldn't open it. Nor would the Kindle Previewer, which is normally supposed to simulate how your files will appear on a physical Kindle device.

If you have a non-copyright sample PDF, or could generate one of your own that looks like the texts you regularly use, perhaps you could upload it and members could take screenshots of how it appears on their Kindles?
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote