View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
When I first saw the Sony, I was in love. It's a gorgeous device. When I started to look into the feature set, I was a bit shocked. I couldn't believe it didn't have dictionary lookup or the ability to search your books. There were other e-ink readers on the horizon so I decided to wait. I did almost buy a Cybook because it at least had dictionary lookup but the Kindle was coming out around the same time and it had dictionary and search and radically lower prices on books. (It's not nearly as big now since lots of sellers have cut their prices to stay competitive.) I wasn't a fan of the looks and my reaction to the wireless was a resounding "meh".

Now that I have the Kindle I realize that the combination of the free samples and Whispernet is freakin brilliant. I save money not just on the price of the books but on not buying books I don't end up finishing. I've read a lot of samples and NOT bought the book. I don't buy books ahead of time thinking I'll be interested in them later. I buy a book right when I want to read it. The only time I've bought ahead is when I was going to be out of the country and wasn't sure about my internet access. Other than that, I buy the book when I finish the sample. It's the book I want to read right now.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote