View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #96
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
You can also put up artwork on the walls...
Which has nothing to do with the point of that anecdote: Whether one decorates the walls or avoids decoration is not an indication of depth.

Quote:
What does your therapist say?
It's a cheap shot to call a fellow member of MR crazy or in need of therapy whether you're joking or not.

The thing I didn't do was to project my own early assumptions and later conclusions onto others on this thread. All I did was describe the way I thought as a kid and then admit that one of my earlier ways of thinking now seems questionable and possibly shallow.

Quote:
So there are all kinds of shallowness.
Which of course was my point -- that the presence or lack of books in someone's house is neither an indication of shallowness nor depth, but that judging someone else as a person based purely on the books in their house might actually be shallow.

Individual titles and collections might be an indication of common interests or the lack, but how fair is it to make them the last word on someone else's depth or intelligence?

The ways in which we can be shallow are myriad. The fact that none of this was an accusation or a declaration of combat might be more obvious if people looked at threads on MR as conversations as opposed to series of thrown gauntlets.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-08-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote