View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
dmaul111478
dmaul111478 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Actually, these are not true with the iPad, though they were with the iPhone. Most apps haven't taken advantage of the new APIs and shared storage locations yet, but it is possible for an app to open its files in a different app and to share files with your computer. Goodreader has taken advantage of this already to allow files emailed to be opened in the Goodreader application.

I don't think that's fair, and do think his point should be listed.

1. He also pointed out that one can't access the iPads file system--which is still true.

2. All that stuff is used on such a limited basis right now, that it can still be listed I think

For me, having a clear file system where I can make folders, move stuff around and most importantly open those folders from ANY app that supports them is a must for me on a tablet since I want to use it more for productivity than leisure.

Goodreader is solid with it's file system and multiple ways to get files into it etc. But doesn't solve the problem that I can't easily then open those PDFs in say iAnnotate.

So I think mentioning the lack of a file system (along with drag and drop which I think you already have listed) along with the current shortcoming of many files only being accessible to one app is worthwhile in your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Perhaps this is a little misleading, because anyone can walk into an Apple store, or visit apple.com and have their expectations confirmed or denied. I can't have the expectation that the iPad has a standard USB port when it is obvious from looking at the device that it does not, reading on Apple's web site or talking to a sales person in the store.

Also some of the items, such as embedded fonts in an eReader or printing, while not available out of the box, may be available with 3rd party software or a future update. One does not criticize Windows for not managing my recipe box when there is 3rd party software available to do so.
That's just silly. This isn't a thread about Apple misleading customers so that they're suprised by it missing a feature etc.

It's about features one might EXPECT any tablet device to have to fit their needs, but that the iPad lacks.

It's a thread that can save people going to an Apple store or looking up the info elsewhere. So listing things like USB ports as missing is perfectly valid in an informative faq about missing features on the iPad.

I have expectations that any tablet I buy will have a USB port, a bigger screen, a true file system, simple drag and drop in Windows without having to use a clunky program like iTunes. The iPad doesn't have those things, so I'm not buying one. A thread like this can help others who want those things--or others in Nikkies list--to see that the iPad is not for them.
dmaul111478 is offline   Reply With Quote