View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddell View Post
There's also a psychological benefit to page numbers. If I know I only have 20 pages left in the chapter, I am much more likely to finish the chapter before putting the book down. However, if I know I have 10% of the book left before I finish the chapter, I have no way of knowing what that means and therefore am more likely to put the book down for the day. With locations, it can be even worse. If I have 500 locations left in the chapter, it can seem daunting.

I know some people will argue that if I were a "true" reader I wouldn't care about petty things like progress. But, in reality, our minds do care - whether we like it or not. I consider myself an avid read (I've finished 16 books so far in 2012, 15 of which were non-fiction). But the more I can wrap my mind around the progress I have to make, the more I will read in a sitting. Page numbers help me do that.
You have a good point, while I have grown used to locations and judging where I am in a book, page numbers would be more helpful when you are limited in time and you are trying to judge whether to stop or continue reading, page numbers are easier to use. At this point I am just used to using a calculator to judge the percentage point of what I have left and I pretty much can estimate how long it will take me to finish locations, but I am also one who does not mind stopping in the middle of chapters. Though I do not understand how page numbers will help you with chapters, the page numbers just give you the number in the book, not how many are in the chapter. Unless of course you go to the TOC but if you are doing that anyway, page numbers or locations will do the same thing.

On a side note, what type of reader am I, I've finished 37 so far in 2012??

If I am not mistaken, Calibre has a plugin to add page numbers to books, though I am not sure if it will work as the default or not, though I don't think so. I am also not sure if it works on the Touch since the touch puts its accompanying files in a folder rather than in the main directory of the book.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote