View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Well I know how my favourite author feels, he's expressed it very clearly.

“There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel." -- Ray Bradbury

A shame that the author who so lovingly showed me the possibilities of the future would turn out to be such a luddite when it comes to ebooks.

It's probably the same for a lot of the 'A-List', and I don't think it's necessarily due to an anti-technology bent. These authors have made their money already, they're at the top of the pile from traditional book sales. They probably see e-books as cutting into their sales or being easily pirated and reducing sales.
wow, i'm actually rather shocked that ray bradbury would have that opinion. what a shame. i suppose i expect science fiction authors to be a bit more enlightened and tech-friendly, although that's probably a silly generalisation (and i can think of other cases as well which prove me wrong on that point...).

you may have a point about the a-listers though ; perhaps less well-known authors see it as a chance for increased visibility and are more open to it. it's a rather blinkered viewpoint though. you should write to bradbury and explain to him how it *really* is. (so, are none of his books available as ebooks ? or does he tolerate them, in spite of his prejudice ?)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote