View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #37
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
Well, I stand corrected! Looks like Apple abandoned DRM a while ago. Last I remember hearing was when they introduced a DRM-less option that cost more. I remember talking to all kinds of people, back in the day of Apple DRM music who didn't even know there was DRM on it. As you say, that's likely the case with many e-book buyers now.

As for the world of book DRM, format converting, etc, I think you'd be surprised to find how little people dig into stuff. For example, my friend vaguely knows that things can be done, but won't even consider loading a public-domain book I sent her into her Kindle. There are people who will bump up against the limitations and just shrug and decide that what they have works good enough. There will be the few that take the plunge, those who want to get the most out of their reader and their library. Here we are, after all. It's something of a hobby for us, but we're not normal.
What Apple also does now is that it lets you take thingie called itunes match which is 20$ a year (and you can only take it once if you want) in which they upgrade "your" songs if yours are of lower bitrate than theirs...anyway, you can see about it in the Apple forum...
As for the books, I agree, lots of people are reluctant, just as they used to be in the nineties with regard to using the PC. But if you just show them once how it works (like mailing the book and instructions how to side load it into ereader) they do become interested...it takes time, but I do think there are more and more ereader using people who are becoming interested in DRM policy its restrictions...
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote