View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #618
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Our is suppose to but it seldom does. We had a freon leak this summer and they added 3lbs more I am starting to think it may need more here shortly. We've lived here close to 7 years now and no one has maintenance the furnace or the unit outside. I suspect it needs replaced. Tonight it's 25F out but it seems to be working okay. 68F in here. I got the door taped and the bottom covered with a heavy towel. Our bill runs anywhere from $60 to $150 in the winter I would say $115 is the average. It's all electric.
We are also all elec, but run about $150 all year - I have a lot of stuff turned on, though (computers everywhere, freezers, frigs, stereos (2), etc). Oh, and the hot tub (which reminds me, a pump needs to be fixed... need to troubleshoot that this weekend; hey, it's only 15 years old or so). Two rooms have to use supplemental heat and a/c, as there was no way to run the main system to them and one is quite large; both get enough heat to stop freezing and enough a/c to keep anyone in there from passing out.

Sounds like your system may need to be replaced. The good news is you'll save a bit with it (so may not have to run the place at 68), even on the lower-cost contractor grade systems you see advertised in our paper all the time.

Monkey - Those who didn't plan for that type of surge haven't been paying much attention to the news. It's been only a matter of time, as the low-hurricane activity century drew to a close, compounded by the slow rise in sea level in the last few years (an inch of ocean is still a lot of water). NY and the seaboard have been hit before (there are even photographs of much of the seaboard destruction from a century or so ago) and will again. They were actually quite lucky, this time, as the hurricane was pretty well slowed down by the time it climbed the coast (although that meant it stalled more, the winds were quite a bit lower than they could have been).

New Orleans isn't the only place that is built underwater and the US doesn't have any real ocean defenses for that type of storm (the islands are supposed to be a part of the defense, but we build houses there, too; and cities, which the taxpayers are on the hook to rebuild, exactly as they were before).

How many people in NY/NJ will rebuild their houses hurricane proof and on 14' pillars?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote