View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthenaAtDelphi View Post
Well, not really concerned, just puzzeled by the fact that my K3 WiFi shows 1 of the 2 3G-pages .

You'd expect the K3 WiFi to show:
- or no 3G-page at all ;
- or 2 empty 3G-pages ;
No idea why it does show it. Its just how Amazon implemented it. Its not something they've documented at all and its a bit unpolished as its debugging/diagnostic information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthenaAtDelphi View Post
But why does it say specifically "Country: DE" ?
Why not something like "Country: EU" ?

(And for all the jokers out there, yes I know, Europe is not a country)
It'd be ETSI instead of Europe as thats the name of the standards body that defined the rules for Europe. Anyway, as for why it has a specific country is because at one point there were differences depending on your country even in Europe but that changed long ago. France and Spain had a significantly more restricted channel allocation but they changed the rules to follow the rest of Europe. My Kindle comes up as GB but sometimes it says something like Unknown.

I'm unsure where inside the Kindle that it actually sets the WiFi region. The Atheros WiFi chip used by the Kindle 3 has all of these settings determined by the driver which is loaded. I've not looked that closely at the driver and related files to see what sets the region. It may be a fixed selection of regions or it may determine it based on your account. I've no idea.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote