View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Hi Renji,
There are some specific hardware/OS differences between the two, but largely I think the choice comes down to personal taste.

Screen: The screen is the same 6" size on both versions. The Cover Story has a touch-screen, the Story doesn't. The Wi-Fi version of the Story has 16 greyscales in the display; all the others have 8 greyscales.

Hardware: Both the Story and the Cover Story come in both stand-alone and Wi-Fi-enabled models. The Cover Story has an accelerometer that auto-rotates the screen display; the Story doesn't. The Cover Story comes with a cover; the Story's cover has to be bought separately.

Software: The Cover Story comes with essentially the same OS as the Story, the same features, and support for the same document types. A couple of differences: The Cover Story can also read FB2 and Docx format; the Story can't. The Cover Story also provides access to POP3-based e.mail accounts, and an inline dictionary for the book reader.

Personally, I bought the Story specifically because the size of its case fits my big hands more comfortably. I wanted an e-ink screen rather than a touch-screen, because touch-screens on any brand tend to get obscured by reflections and fingerprints. So even though the Cover Story's extra features are nice, I don't think they're enough to be worth an owner of an original Story upgrading for. And I'd probably always choose a regular Story over the new Cover Story. But as I said, I think it's a matter of personal taste.

I hope that helps. Most of all, I think the choice depends on which features are the most important to you.

Edited to add:
Renji, I read on another thread that you like the iRiver because of its CBZ support. If that's a major appeal for you, I would think the 16-greyscale screen would probably matter, which might mean your best choice from iRiver would be the Wi-Fi-enabled Story. But where are you? The Wi-Fi-enabled model isn't available everywhere.

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 11-15-2010 at 08:51 AM.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote