View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcG View Post
Yes. Think of it: You have the dropcap as high as two lines of text and the empty space between them. If you use a bigger font, the margin will be bigger too and so the third line will be moved a little downwards.
If you mean the body font, then if you specify an explicit line-height for your paragraphs and use relative units for everything, font changes should make basically zero difference. My drop caps do not shift by even a pixel (as best I could tell from a quick visual inspection) when I switch from my own custom font to Georgia, Times, Helvetica, Palatino, and Charon. The only thing that changes is what word gets butt-jointed up against it on the second line.

Now if you allow for overlap (e.g. the top bar of a "T" above the first line of text), then this does not necessarily work if the font for the drop cap itself changes, simply because that top bar may be at a different relative offset from the baseline, but the layout itself still shouldn't change.

Last edited by dgatwood; 05-01-2013 at 12:41 AM.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote