View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
amurricanabroad
amurricanabroad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (thinking about it)
Should I buy a Kindle 3 in the U.S. or from Europe?

I've searched the forums and found various threads dealing with international version Kindles, but a few were from almost a year ago and I'm hoping I can get some more up-to-date info before I make a purchase decision.

Here are the details about me:

1. I'm a U.S. citizen living in The Netherlands.
2. I have a valid U.S. address and a U.S. bank account/credit card.

Here's what I want to be able to do with my Kindle 3-WiFi only:

Download e-books from the U.S. store if I want and avoid the extra charge. I'll obviously be looking for free books and other available titles to upload to the Kindle, but if a new release comes out that I want, I want to be able to purchase it for the same price as a U.S. user. To be honest, I don't want to be charged extra for anything just because I'm over here.

My questions:
1. Should I purchase a U.S. version Kindle or go through the international page (which will cost more)?
2. If I'm just using wi-fi and not 3G, will Amazon charge me extra for accessing the free titles? I saw a post about someone being charged $2 for a free title even though he wasn't using the 3G. Seems ridiculous.
3. Does the U.S. Kindle 3 come with an AC adapter and a USB cord? Assuming I go for the U.S. version, I'll buy a European adapter for charging, but I may just stick with charging via USB at first assuming that is included.

I'm heading to America next month and I'm seriously considering buying a Kindle and having it arrive at my U.S. address in time to fly back with me, but these questions are holding me back. I'm also worried they're going to drop the price again on the wifi 3 in time for Christmas, which would seriously annoy me.

Thanks for your help!
amurricanabroad is offline   Reply With Quote