View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
It's like job applications.
Vanity presses talk about how few books are ever published by the mainstream publishers, conveniently leaving out one thing: those books are not selected at random. The most important part is entirely under the author's control: writing a book that doesn't suck. Unfortunately, few people (and not even all of the pros all of the time) are capable of doing that.
You make an excellent comparison between submitting manuscripts and submitting resumes, and I would like to add to it.

In my last position, my manager made me the resume slush-pile reader in her search for a new analyst (position similar to mine). Yes, we got a ton of resumes that were completely unsuitable for our stated requirements, but every now and then, I would find a great candidate--someone who had all the skills and experience we needed, had great references, and interviewed well--and yet, she would still reject them without explanation.

I imagine a similar thing happens in publishing houses: some high quality writing goes unnoticed, even it's a perfect match for the house's needs, just because the pile was too deep that day, or the manager's coffee got cold.

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote