View Single Post
Old 04-23-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
More info on media servers & TwonkyVision

I guess I've been thinking in terms of just audio, but the future of course includes video and pictures.

Here's a forum that covers lots of media servers, including non-UPNP...
http://www.media-servers.com/forums/

Twonkyvision seems to be pretty good. There's two products. A free "Music server" product that runs on PC, Linux, Mac. It only serves audio.

And a commercial product called "Media Server" that also serves video and pictures. In addition, it gets you better tree searching (like by Artist/Album instead of just Artist or just Album). About 15 Euros, I think, but don't know what that means in terms of exchanges rates for US dollars.

And what's really neat is that the commercial version supports some of the NAS products. It runs right on those storage devices and serves media without needing a computer to be turned on. (Including UPNP and shoutcast internet radio stations that appear just like MP3 files which never end!)

I'm going to give the free version a try. I'm very disappointed that it's so hard to get this Omnifi DMS1 to work with a media server for a large set of music tracks, but hopefully Twonkyvision will get me going. I'll let you know.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote