View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousMe View Post
Hello

Could you give me tips for a good video on how to use Sigil? I see a number of them on YouTube but get confused about where to start.

Also, have any of you used both Sigil and Jutoh? How do they compare and what are the major / minor differences between them?

thanks.
I've used both, mostly testing on Jutoh, which I licensed to try, but it's not my tool of choice. I have used it to make a book or two, to give it a fair shake, but my clear preference is Sigil.

AFAIK, there is no video on Sigil.

Jutoh is very good if you are not accustomed to html, don't understand CSS and don't want to learn; you simply want to make eBooks and sell them. Sigil is a tool for more sophisticated geeks who do understand html, xhtml, and CSS, and want to have the fine-tuned control that you get by working directly in the code.

Honestly, there's no "right" or "wrong" to it; it's a matter of background, experience, goals and personal preference. If you have a really solid understanding of Word's built-in Styles functions, then Jutoh will be a picnic for you; if you don't, you'll suffer with Jutoh, but I don't think you'd be happier with Sigil, either. Neither works by "magic;" you have to have some frame of reference to really make either of them work. For Jutoh, as I said, a solid grasp of how Word's built-in styles actually work, and can be manipulated and used over and over, will make that learning curve super-easy. For Sigil, if you don't know html & css at all, it's a tough place to start.

Hope that helps.
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote