View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
wowen
wowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iriver Story
Just bought the Iriver Story - impressions

I decided to get this model as I don't like being locked into a format (so no kindle), and I looked at the 5in screen of the Sony and thought I would prefer 6in, but the 6in of the Sony being touch sensitive is not quite as nice and is more expensive...... So Iriver Story looked ideal, and at £149.99 from play.com in the UK it looked a nice bargain. Four days later what do I think? Well I basically love it, but I do have a few niggles, if anybody knows the answer to solve them then let me know.

1) Book list screen is badly designed : Why waste screen real estate with a left hand column and then show the book names in a compressed column. The result is

William Shakespeare - A.....
William Shakespeare - A.....
William Shakespeare - T.....

So I haven't a clue what the books actually are.

2) Putting books in folders on the internal memory doesn't do anything, it still lists them sequentially irrespective of that. This was my proposed solution to (1) as I thought I could rename files "A Midsummer Night's Dream" within a folder called "William Shakespeare".

Solution: Solved this myself having spotted the difference between the BOOKS option and MY FOLDER option

3) Putting books into folders on an SD card does allow you to put them in folders....except I can't seem to get the search function to work to find a book on the SD card (Same when using the MY FOLDER option)

4) PDF Zoom is just clunky.

5) Bookmarks, again maybe I'm missing something, but I can only seem to get them to work from the classic books on the main memory which was preinstalled. I don't seem to get the option when looking at my own books which I have separately put on an SD card.

6) The most common thing I want to do when switching on the reader is to continue reading the last book. Why do I have to press 3 buttons to get there? MENU -> UP -> ENTER. Recent Book should be the default menu item when I switch on the device.

7) Again, a kind of wishlist rather than a bug/fault/niggle, but why can't I simply have an option for "Recent Books", where it lists the last 5 books I opened. I like to read 2-3 books at a time of varying levels of frivolity and don't want to have to individually find them each time. Also I do tend to browse the other books between sittings and then I've lost the "recent book" leading me back to the main book I'm reading often.

But it is a lovely thing. I'm sure soon enough it will be replaced with a mirasol device, or similar. But it is a very nice thing, and despite that list I'm going to get many many hours of joy out of it.
wowen is offline   Reply With Quote