View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #15
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Nook is only wifi'd to Barnes and Noble.
Sorry, was wrong of screen size. Both then I guess are slightly larger than Sony.
It IS a big deal that the SD card can't come in and out of ereader easily, not because of the size of the gigs stored, but because you can't use it to load books. ie, instead of syncing to computer, you can drag and drop books onto whatever folders you choose to create on card and and then pop books into the ereader instead of hooking up cables and syncing, and in Nooks case only through B & N software which controls your library, what you keep and delete and your library goes back to them... I did not like any of this ......
The Nook has two different folders. The B&N Library and My Documents.
The B&N library is synchronized with the B&N library of your account using 3G or Wifi (books you do not want to see can be archived, that way they will not show on the Nook, you can always unarchive them).
The My Documents folder is the folder you manage yourself. You can just drag and drop books to this folder, no B&N sofware needed, the Nook shows up as a driveletter on your PC.
You can also download your B&N books from the B&N website and drag and drop them to the My Documents Folder. You can also download the books from the B&N website this way to backup them to your PC. B&N does not control your books!
Your B&N books are even more futureproof that regular Adobe Adept DRM books, because the Adobe Adept DRM depents on an online Abobe activation server (which one day may not be available anymore), while the B&N DRM is encrypted within the book itself.

As for the Wifi connection. You can use your home wifi network or any public hotspot to connect to the internet. You can visit all websites. The only thing you cannot do at the moment is download files to your Nook. Perhaps we will see this in a future update (the browser is only Beta yet).
To shop at B&N you use the SHOP function of the Nook, not the browser.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote