View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingduct View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far, I hope it keeps coming! I'm going to try them out on Sunday, so we'll see.

Correct me if I've misunderstood anything, but here are some things I've learned so far in this thread:

-The SD card can't be easily inserted and removed from the Nook.
-On a related note, the Nook's library management can't just find a file on it's memory and display it. It has to be managed somehow through either Nook software or alternative software like Calibre (no basic drag and drop).
-Nook turns pages a bit faster
-Handedness impacts usability
-both have good build quality and good service (though Nook's I can get a real human at a store)

It is sounding like I'm really going to have to test them myself. If the image quality and page speed are truly and clearly much superior on the Nook, I'll probably get it. However, if it's about the same it'll be a very close call (I suspect that this is more likely)!
I have to disagree with most of what dixieknits said.

1. The back cover of the Nook is very easy to take off, without tools. It has simple tabs. Also, while it's off you can replace or change out the battery. I'd rather my micro sd card be there where it will not accidentally pop out.

2. You can easily drag and drop ebooks into the my library folder through USB either in the internal memory, or the sd card. No management software needed at all! The only software you need is Adobe Digital Editions if you want to checkout Overdrive Library Books. Kobo requires the same. I think that is where dixieknits is confused.

3. The Kobo screen is not larger. They are both 6 inches.

4. Kobo ink clarity is not the same. Watch the video review on CNET.com and they specifically mention that the Kobo screen is not as clear as the Kindle or Nook.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote