View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 05:45 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
The PRS505 is the new version of the Sony Reader. The Buttons have been changed and a few nice features have been added to the user interface, such as being able to use the number buttons to select a specific page number, as well as improved SD and Memory Stick capabilities and a slightly more contrasting screen.

I don't think the Iliad2 is available in the U.S., but I may be mistaken about this and just haven't seen it in stores.

Border's Books and Music stores have the Sony Reader, as do Best Buy stores. Border's wouldn't have the PDA or GPS devices, but Best Buy should have everything she's looking for. Another store to look in is Circuit City but I find that Best Buy is the better place to shop.

These are national chain stores which should have branches near a large area such as Champaign, IL.

I hope your wife has a great trip over here -- you should know in advance, however, that current books for the Sony Reader can only be purchased through the SonyConnect store (or its current name, possibly it's been changed to SonyLibrary) using a U.S. credit card.

What some people overseas have done have been to have a U.S. resident buy a gift card for them. The gift card can be used from any computer, apparently, so that's the only way I know of to buy new content for the Reader.

There are hundreds of converted public domain books in the Content section of this forum, and there is the vast listing of public domain books through Project Gutenberg, which there is a Microsoft Word macro to remove extraneous hard returns from for quick use on the Sony Reader, and even a standalone conversion program for those of us who don't own Word which does the same thing.

I find that once those extraneous hard returns are removed, I don't need any further formatting -- the books read just find on my PRS-500.

I hope your wife enjoys her trip and comes back with great electronic goodies!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote