Thread: Impact on iPad?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
you see what gets me is, I'm willing to wager that about 90% of the people are not buying the iPad FOR the e-book reading feature, but more for web browsing, streaming movies and videos, all the fun apps and the ebook reader is a "cool i guess" extra.

as where people buying the Nook, Kindle,sony etc. are buying them FOR e-reading.
Just because the press wants the iPad to e-reading doesn't make it so.
If readers weren't as crippled as they are, they'd have many of the same functions as an iPad, and people would buy them for similarly varied reasons. They are only "specialized" because they cannot do anything particularly well, and displaying badly typeset text is pretty much the simplest thing after a calculator.

My guess is that many people do buy iPads primarily for reading (I've even entertained the idea a few times myself), and many of the other functions are just extra justification. More power to them. I'd like it if the iPad were a bit higher res and wasn't so tethered, and if there were some decent ebook reading programs out there for it.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote