View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #14593
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm reading "The Old Dick," a nice PI novel from 1982, by L.A. Morse....
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Describing something from 1982 as good old stuff. How ancient does that make me feel .
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm about half-way through Cloud Atlas and I'm finding it rather cheesy. Oh, it's a good-enough read, but I hope the payoff is worth it.
And here's a quote from one of the characters in Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell on aging. Not really a spoiler, so I'm not bothering with the spoiler tags:

“Oh, once you’ve been initiated into the Elderly, the world doesn’t want you back.” Veronica settled herself in a rattan chair and adjusted her hat just so. “We—by whom I mean anyone over sixty—commit two offenses just by existing. One is Lack of Velocity. We drive too slowly, walk too slowly, talk too slowly. The world will do business with dictators, perverts, and drug barons of all stripes, but being slowed down it cannot abide. Our second offence is being Everyman’s memento mori. The world can only get comfy in shiny-eyed denial if we are out of sight.”

(I'm now 78% through Mitchell's book.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Well, when you're 60, you can say that 30 years ago was 50% of your life ago.
FWIW, 30 years ago was 48% of my life ago, but I don't feel bad about that. I know people much older than me who were born long after I was. It's only in the past few years that I've stopped thinking of myself as a teenager.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote